F.A.Q. - Pet Food Recalls

The FDA sends out periodic notices about isolated pet food recalls—both voluntary and involuntary. Please check the FDA’s website for the most current information about safety alerts and recalls. You may also visit their website at
I think my pet is sick from contaminated food. What should I do?
If your pet shows any signs of illness, including loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, changes in water consumption or changes in urination, please consult Dr. Michael Hudson or call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435.
What is the best food to give to my pet?
In general, the ASPCA recommends high quality, premium pet foods for most pets, since they are research-based formulas that include specific nutrients for your pet’s well-being such as Science Diet by Hill's Pet Nutrition. Duncan Veterinary Hospital carries the complete line of Hill's Pet Nutrition for all stages of your pets life and care. However, Dr. Michael Hudson does suggest other brands outside of what we carry such as: Eukanuba, Purina One and IAMS.  If your pet is used to eating a particular type of food, a sudden change in diet or diet type may upset her stomach. This may be especially problematic for pets with pre-existing illnesses.

Does the ASPCA recommend homemade diets for pets?
Homemade diets require a substantial amount of work to ensure that the final product includes a complete nutritional balance. It is very important to follow recipe directions exactly, not allowing for substitutions or omitting of ingredients. If you wish to use a homemade diet, please consult with Dr. Michael Hudson or an animal nutritionist for an acceptable recipe.

dvh dvh
©2019 Duncan Veterinary Hospital  Design/Hosting Provided By OTS
Best viewed in Internet Explorer 8 / Fire Fox 3 at 1024x768 Resolution.